Fernie is a beautiful Rocky Mountain town located in the southeast corner of British Columbia, Canada.
Fernie is just a one hour drive east of Cranbrook, BC and the Canadian Rockies International Airport (YXC). This airport has daily flights to and from Calgary International Airport (YYC) and Vancouver International Airport(YVR) on Air Canada, and daily flights to and from Vancouver on Pacific Coastal Airlines. This airport also has three direct flights per week from Edmonton, Alberta on Integra Air.
Both the Calgary and Vancouver International Airports service all major airlines and airports around the globe. Flight time from Calgary is approximately 50 minutes, while flight time from Vancouver is approximately 1.5 hours. Car rentals are available from all the above airports, but should be booked in advance. Visit each of the airport websites via the links above for more details on car rental.
Another close option lies in Kalispell, Montana in the United States. Kalispell is only a two hour drive to the south of Fernie, across the USA border (Roosville Border Crossing – open 24hrs). The Glacier Park International Airport in Kalispell receives daily flights from numerous US cities and airlines.
For information on Canada Border Services & for travelers not from Canada please visit www.cbsa.gc.ca
Fernie is situated on Highway 3 (Crowsnest Pass Highway) that travels from Alberta to the east, and from Cranbrook, BC to the west. Driving conditions during the months of November-April can be difficult due to winter weather. Fernie is only a 30 minute drive from the Alberta border and an approximate 60 minute drive to the USA border.
For road conditions visit www.drivebc.ca
Fernie is also serviced by Greyhound Buslines, servicing all cities in North America. The pick-up and drop-off location in Fernie is located at the Husky Gas Station by Smitty’s Restaurant and the Super 8 Hotel.
Fernie has a new Ride Share Website, check it out: www.fernierideboard.com
Closest Major Airports:
- 1 hour 15 min drive from the Canadian Rockies International Airport (Cranbrook, British Columbia)
- 3 hour drive from the Calgary International Airport (Calgary, Alberta)
- 2 hour drive from the Glacier Park International Airport (Kalispell, Montana)
- 4 hour drive from the Spokane International Airport (Spokane, Washington)
- 10 hour drive from Vancouver International Airport (Vancouver, BC)
Approximate Driving Times:
- Cranbrook, BC – 1 hr
- Kimberley, BC – 1.25 hrs
- Whitefish/Kalispell, Montana – 2 hrs
- Spokane, Washington – 2 hrs
- Calgary, Alberta – 3 hrs
- Banff/Lake Louise, Alberta – 4 hrs
- Edmonton, Alberta – 6 hrs
- Seattle, Washington – 8 hrs
- Vancouver, BC – 10hrs