Today’s topic on waxing is bought to you by Amanda. Let’s chat about waxing particularly about Brazilians, bikini and other body epilation. Waxing is an intimate experience and a procedure that is beneficial for most. At Spa 901 we want your experience and your results to be the absolute best. First, consistency is key. We recommend you come in every four to eight weeks as this allows your skin to acclimate to the procedure and slow hair growth, allowing you to maintain smooth skin for longer periods.
Our services (excluding Brazilian waxing) extends to both women and men, so whether you need your legs stripped of stray hairs, your eyebrows heightened or some manscaping – we’ve got you covered. Be sure to ask your esthetician or our spa co-ordinators about our waxing packages and offers.
Here’s are some suggestions to help you prepare and care for your waxing treatments, let’s get down to the not so obvious basics:
Pre -Waxing Care:
* PERSONAL HYGIENE – we kindly ask you bathe and or freshen up before your appointment.
* SKIP THE LOTIONS – self tanners, body lotion, makeup, oils, deodorants and other topical sprays should be avoided prior too appointment (this applies for all waxing applications)
* LET IT GROW – shaving interferes with how the hair grows, which affects the epilation process (hairs grow at different rates, and directions so don’t expect baby smooth skin after your first appointment, it is very common to have ‘peach fuzz’ or ‘undergrowth’ until all hair follicles are growing at the same rate and length) if you have been shaving please allow 2-3 weeks or ¼ inch of hair growth
* AVOID HEAT – the wax is warm enough, avoid any plans that involve tanning beds, hot tubs, pools and sweaty exercise before and after your appointment
* EXFOLIATE – ladies I can’t stress this enough. Exfoliating 24 hours prior to your appointment will allow the dead skin to slough off and gives us a prime canvas to work on. Also, we advise waiting 48 hours post wax to exfoliate (our pours need this time too constrict to avoid infection and calm-down). We encourage you to start exfoliating 2 days after your wax as it will help minimize ingrown hairs and keep you feeling fresh.
* OUCH – yes, we certainly don’t categorize waxing as an enjoyable or relaxing service, however to help minimize sensitivity avoid waxing the week before your menstrual cycle as our nervous system is highly sensitive around this time and pain is less tolerable. PRO TRICK: you may want to take a Tylenol (avoid Advil, naproxen or any blood thinning pain killer) 20 minutes’ prior too your appointment, it helps decrease pain.
* SPEAK UP! – if you have sensitive skin, or have experienced breakouts (brows, lips, chin, bikini) let us know we can tailor our service for you.
* WEAR COMFY CLOTHING – waxing any area of the body will cause a heated reaction, wear loose fitting comfy clothing as this will help minimize irritation post waxing
Post Waxing Care:
* SENSITIVITY– this applies directly towards Brazilians and bikini waxing, expect heat and sensitivity 24-48 hrs post wax. If irritation, swelling or bruising should occur, we recommend you use a cold compress as this will calm the area, reduce swelling and redness.
* HEAT – again, it’s a no brainer – avoid heat, this means tanning beds, exercise, sexual activity, hot tubs and baths.
* AVOID LOTIONS & POTIONS – avoid applying lotions post waxing for at least 24-48 hrs. The hair follicle needs healing time to properly close. Applying lotions, oils, deodorants increase your risk of ingrown hairs, infections, irritation and sensitivity.
Precautions and Considerations:
Our highly trained estheticians pride themselves in offering specialized, safe, smooth and savvy waxing services. We follow top grade health and sanitation protocol and have a strict policy of “no double dipping”. We use a clean applicator and never dip the same applicator twice into the wax pot. Our room, linens and surfaces are changed, disinfected, cleaned and sanitized after every client.
Please note that body waxing can and may result in minor breakouts, as waxing causes temporary enlargement of the hair follicles that can allow bacteria to nestle in the skin – this is why proper hygiene, pre and post care, is very important. It is very important you mention any concerns to your esthetician or GP so proper care can be advised.
There are certain medications and topical products that increase the rate at which your skin exfoliates, therefore waxing could potentially remove skin as well as hair. Also, be aware that chemical peels, laser, and micro-dermabrasion can also affect skin integrity and pose a contraindication to a waxing service. We ask that you inform your esthetician immediately if you are on any medications or if you have undergone/ used any skin resurfacing services and/or products.
For frequently asked questions regarding our waxing services please visit our Waxing Q&A page